Grab those toques and mitts, pack up some hot chocolate, and get ready to fly down some hillsides!
Getting lots of snow on Vancouver Island is an anomaly unless heading up into the mountains. However, each winter we do get just enough to enjoy a day or two of tobogganing. With this year’s recent snow fall, I’ve had a few inquiries about finding the best hills.
I am based in Nanoose Bay, so my knowledge of such hills is limited to the surroundings areas. If you live outside the Mid-Island, please leave a comment below to the best tobogganing hills in your area. I’m sure our readers would appreciate it.
Here’s our top picks…
Best Tobogganing Hills in Nanaimo
- Mt. Benson School site – 4355 Jingle Pot Road – Nice steep hill that leads right down to the soccer pitch
- Quarterway School – 1632 Bowen Road – Nice big hill
- Barney Moriez Park – 450 Poplar Street – The large slides are popular whether there is snow or not!
- Bowen Park – 500 Bowen Road – Quite a few different hills to choose from
Best Tobogganing Hills in Oceanside
- Nanoose Place – 2925 Northwest Bay Road – hill and fields beside the Nanoose Children’s Centre
- Parksville Community Park – 193 Beachside Drive – It’s the big hill you see from the main highway (across from Dairy Queen). The great part about this hill is the city of Parksville shuts down the
right handlane of the highway to keep the hill safe!
- Springwood School – (behind) – 450 Despard Avenue. The hills here are great for little ones.
- Qualicum Park – (behind Ravensong Aquatic Centre) – 737 Jones Street